– Contributed by – Kelley Herring, CEO & Editor-in-Chief of Health-e Enterprises and writer of the award-winning book “Guilt Free Desserts”.
Fats provide moisture and tender texture to baked goods. They give rich mouth feel to soufflés, the silky finesse to mousse and golden, flaky goodness to pie crust. But what they do in your body is even more important than what they do in the kitchen.
The fats you eat influence inflammation and metabolism. They affect how cells communicate with each other. They affect how your genes express themselves! And when they are used at the wrong temperatures (above their flashpoint) they can cause oxidative damage that can mutate cells and encourage cancer.
But using the right fats, in their appropriate temperature range, is one of the best things you can do for your health. Healthy fats can help reduce inflammation, boost brainpower, discourage wrinkles and even flip your body’s fat-storage switch “off”. And these are the kind of fats we rely on in Guilt Free Desserts.
Stock your pantry with these heat stable, REAL fats for delicious baked goods with benefits:
– Coconut Oil: Coconut oil provides rich, buttery flavor to your favorite baked goods. Coconut oil is slow to oxidize and resistant to rancidity. It’s also rich in medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) and lauric acid which kill a myriad of bacteria, protozoa and fungus, including Candida albicans, the fungus responsible for yeast infections. Because MCTs are not metabolized by the liver, they’re used as energy and not stored as fat.
– Palm Shortening: Another great alternative to traditional shortenings (that contain trans fat) or butter, palm shortening can help you achieve light, tender, flakiness you desire in crusts and cookies. Like coconut oil, it is resistant to rancidity thanks to its high saturated fat content.
– Butter: When it comes to baking, it’s hard to beat the taste of real butter. With its creamy flavor, high vitamin A content and versatility, butter can be used in almost any baked good. But be sure to choose organic, pastured/grass-fed butter that contains no hormones and the healthy fat, CLA. You’ll learn how CLA boosts fat burning and the best butter to buy in Guilt Free Desserts.
– Macadamia Nut Oil & Almond Oil: These light and delicious oils can be used in any recipe that calls for liquid oil (ie. melted butter, canola oil). Plus, they’re rich in inflammation-fighting and belly-flattening mono-unsaturated fat.
But just as important as using the right fats is AVOIDING the wrong ones.
In fact, there are 7 fats that actually PROMOTE weight gain by flipping on your fat-storage genes. And many so-called “health gurus” still tout these as healthy.
Learn what they are in my book “Guilt Free Desserts”!