Even a few minutes of hiccups can seem like an irritating, embarrassing eternity! While there is no one medical methods to stop them, there are plenty of tried & true popular tricks, most of which work by overwhelming the vagus nerve (which causes hiccups when it becomes irritated) with another sensation. Try one or more of these suggestions next time you’re overcome by hiccups:
1. Hold your breath until you simply cannot any more, making sure to push yourself to the limits of your abilities.
2. Swallow a teaspoonful of sugar.
3. Stick your fingers in both of your ears.
4. Breathe into a paper bag for a few minutes.
5. Eat a hulking spoonful of peanut butter.
6. Eat some powdered cocoa mix.
7. Drink a glass of water through a paper towel placed over the mouth of the glass. The sucking motion performed by your diaphragm should reset your breathing.
8. Stick out your tongue and breathe normally.
9. Swallow a teaspoon of vinegar.
10. Suck on a lemon.
11. Quickly take several gulps of water, in succession.
12. Have somebody scare you.
13. Give someone a long passionate kiss, with their consent, of course.
14. Drink from the “other” side of the glass, forcing yourself to tilt your head drastically.
15. Gargle with water for a full 2 minutes.